Wednesday, September 4, 2013

We Aren't In Texas Anymore: Welcome to DC!!

First off, I just want to say that I am only writing this blog to help my family and friends back home understand a little better the experiences that I am blessed to have while I am here. It is by no means meant to be grammatically correct or extremely professional. I just hope you all get to enjoy reading these posts as much as I love writing them.

Okay now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me just start by saying I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be living in Washington, D.C. (it is crazy to even type that statement!!) This place is so much more than just our nations capitol and a place for tourists. It is essentially a history book that is being played out in real life. I can't get over how great it is to just get on the metro and ride to a stop (Chinatown being my favorite) and getting out and walking around just watching people, foreign and domestic experiencing a culture like none other. In the short time I have been here I have seen it all, men and women of dignity dressed in suits, constantly starting at their expensive watches, to tourists from all corners of the world, to homeless people sleeping on benches literally across the street from the White House. I knew this experience was going to be a new and extremely enlightening one, I just didn't realize how utterly amazing it really is. Sure there are tons of great sights and sounds to experience around the city, and trust me I have certainly spent my days walking to all of those. But to me this city is so much more. It is the way the bricks on the sidewalk wobble under your feet because they are so worn down, it is the simplicity of watching families playing Frisbee and football in the park, it is the ability to go sit on the 3rd floor of a Starbucks and look out the window to see people from all walks of life, young and old, every race and gender, simply co-existing in a world that is so often against such a thing. By no means am I leaving my Texas roots and the world back home that I so dearly love behind, I am simply getting the opportunity to open my eyes to the unknown and see what life is like 1700 miles away. There will be days when I wish I had my car to pack up and head home in, there will be days where all I want to do is grab a sweet tea (which I have only had 1 glass since being here) with my best friend, there will be days that I will miss being surrounded by friends and family and those who keep me lifted mentally and spiritually.

But for now, I choose to keep discovering these simple pleasures that are what make DC so great. I hope each and every one of you reading this know how much I love and appreciate your support. I am surrounded by great people here at TWC. I have amazing roommates and some great new friends, and I know they will help step into the role that all of you play for me back home.

I am going to try my best to post once a week to keep you all updated and in the know and I can not wait to come back and tell all of you the stories of all my experiences here. What a great ride it is going to be!
For now, I am gonna get my walking shoes on and go explore.



"The purpose of life is to live it, to experience to the utmost, to reach out, eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love,
Kalee

2 comments:

  1. Kalee, I am so happy you are going to try and blog. Reading your first one reminds me so much of Kyler's first call home and how it felt. What an amazing experience you are getting. It's one you will never regret. You will make new, forever friends from lots of places. Soak it all in. I will be praying for you and your family while you are away...like I said, been there done that. Love and hugs from LCU...Momma Pool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma Pool!!
    Thank you so so much for your words! I am so glad I am getting to experience what Kyler did last year. It is everything and more that they said it would be. I look forward to sharing with all of you about my days spent up here. I am so happy to have everyone back at LCU praying and thinking of me. It truly means the world. I hope you are having a great week! Thank you so much again!!
    Love,
    Kalee

    ReplyDelete